Friday, October 09, 2020

TOMORROW

KIDS SAY THE DARNEDEST THINGS

The Sunday School teacher asks, “Now, Johnny, tell me frankly; do you say prayers before eating?”    ”No sir,” little Johnny replies, “I don’t have to.  My Mom is a good cook.”

Pastor Larry told me how a mother with a fidgety seven-year-old boy finally got her son to sit still and be quiet. About halfway through the sermon, she leaned over and whispered, ‘If you don’t be quiet, Pastor Larry is going to lose his place and will have to start his sermon all over again!”

A little boy was overheard praying:  "Lord, if you can't make me a better boy, don't worry about it.  I'm having a real good time like I am."

ADULTS BELIEVE THE DARNEDEST THINGS

Although I hate the phrase, there does seem to be a “new normal.”  It is a feeling of it can wait, I can get to it later, and that will give me something to do tomorrow.

Tomorrow: on or for the day after today, the day after the present, time that is to come, eventually

I recently attended the play, Heaven’s Gates and Hell’s Flames.  Obviously, this show is about going to heaven or hell.  Various scenes portray people in day to day activities until their life ends.  Their life ends unexpectedly.  They had no tomorrow.

During the play, there were three phrases that struck me as extremely important.

GOOD IS GOOD ENOUGH

In a number of the scenes, people would tell the angel holding the Book of Life, “I have helped others.  I have been good.  I am sure my name is in there.”

Adults say, “Good is good enough.”

Newsflash:  That is not Biblical!   

Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.”    John 3:3


(John speaking)  Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them.  John 3:36


Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.  John 14:6

Being good?  That is what we all are to do.  BUT…being good will not earn you eternal life.

EVERYONE GETS INTO HEAVEN

A couple of people were surprised they were going to hell.  They shouted, “There is no judgment.  Everyone gets into heaven.”

Adults say, “Everyone gets into heaven.”

Newsflash:  This is not Biblical!

(John the Baptist speaking)  “I baptize you with water for repentance.  But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worth to carry.  He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.  His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”  Matthew 3:11-12


The Parable of the Net:  “This is how it will be at the end of the age.  The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.  Matthew 13:49-50

Everyone DOES NOT get into heaven.  Many churches no longer preach heaven and hell.  I think they do not want to scare people and that is too bad.  Heaven is real.  So is hell.

                           PEOPLE BELIEVE IN JESUS, THEY JUST DO NOT BELIEVE IN ME                                    (spoken by Satan during the play)

Adults say, “Satan is not real.”

Newsflash:  This is not Biblical!

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.  Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.  Ephesians 6:10-11

 

Be alert and of sober mind.  Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.  Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.  1 Peter 5:8-9

 

And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown.  They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.  Revelation 20:10

Satan, the devil, is real.  He is a liar.  A deceiver.  A tempter.  He is after your soul.

--------------------------------------

Good is not good enough.

There is a judgment.

Satan is real.

Tomorrow is too late.

If you have not made a decision.. if you have not confessed your sins.. if you have not accepted Jesus as your Savior – with a true heart -- .. do not be part of the “new normal” of putting it off because you will have time tomorrow.  Do it today.  Do it now.

Which do you want?

Heaven’s Gates and Hell’s Flames?

 

No comments: