Friday, September 09, 2022

 DO YOU SEE ME?  I AM HERE!

Sometimes I think I am invisible.  I thought this was my time with my dad.  I am sitting right here, but your eyes are not looking at me.  I am here, but no words are being exchanged.  I want to shout, “DO YOU SEE ME?”

Sometimes I think I am invisible.  I wash your jeans, your shirts – your underwear for goodness sakes.  I fixed a really good meal – your favorite.  I made sure everything was ready for all of you before I left for work.  I want to shout, “DO YOU SEE ME?”

Sometimes I think I am invisible.  Do you see how hard I work?  Do you see that I fixed the swing and was there for your game?  I want to shout, “DO YOU SEE ME?”

Sometimes I think I am invisible.  Yes you came, but you did not see me _____. (Fill in the blank with get a touchdown, do my solo, or any activity your child is in.)  You asked about my day and I tried to tell you, but your phone rang.  I want to shout, “DO YOU SEE ME?

Sometimes I think I am invisible.  This was to be a date – a time of questions and answers.  Quiet conversations and a chance for love to grow.  Instead, I want to shout, “DO YOU SEE ME?”

Sometimes we think we are invisible.  We came into the restaurant together – the six of us.  Our two grandchildren immediately took out their phones.  Their parents were talking on their phones all the way here.  They are still talking or checking messages or on Snapchat.  And we quietly sit here.  We want to shout, “DO YOU SEE US?”

How sad that the people we are with are invisible.  They are present, but not important enough:

  • to have an actual conversation with them.
  • to share a laugh.
  • to give flirty glances.
  • to hold hands.
  • to listen as they tell about their day.
  • to hear “when I was young” stories.

I love to people watch and have watched as these stories played out over and over and over.  And I want to shout, “PUT DOWN YOUR PHONE!”

How my heart hurt for the little girl who waited for her father to see her.  She silently ate her meal and he never got off the phone.

Parents – mothers and fathers – can feel invisible.  They work at a job and at home, but it is just expected and goes unnoticed when video games and phones and social media consume the kids. 

The kids also feel invisible.  They want to be heard and feel loved, but too often fears and emotions remain private as business calls or calls about a shopping trip or an alert take priority over them.  Families ignore each other as they come and go but they never get off the phone.  There are constant notifications to check, work calls, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and the winning homerun was missed because someone somewhere posted a cute dog video.

Couples -- those getting to know each other and those that are getting out of the house for a date night – make time to be together and then constantly check their phone.

Grandparents – sadly sit quietly while everyone talks to a friend they have never met or watch a video of the latest prank.  They wonder if there would be a response if they texted their kids and grandkids.

This phone addiction (Yes, addiction.) has gotten out of hand.  All ages are more concerned about what might be going on in cyberspace instead of what is going on right in front of them.  Our children hear “hold on just a minute” when they try to talk to their parents.  Parents hear “the video game is almost over” when they try to get everyone to the table.  Spouses no longer listen to how the day went and grandparents learn how to text.

People watching is fun.  Look around.  Really look.  What do you see?  Do you see people who want to shout, “DO YOU SEE ME?”

 

No comments: