Friday, September 02, 2022

 ROAD TRIP

Last week I went on a road trip!!!  I met up with my sister and we spent a couple of days catching up.  Venting.  Laughing.  Eating.  Drinking wine.  Putting our feet up.  Eating.  Driving around.  Shopping.  Cemeteries.

Most things on this list worked out pretty good.  A couple of things did not.

EATING – We tried (get the tried) to eat lunch at an Olive Garden in Richmond, Indiana.  As we waited to be seated, a number of employees walked by us.  They never spoke.  Then another employee, in a very grouch tone, said, “I’ll be with you in a minute.”  My sister and I looked at each other, nodded our heads, and walked out the door.  We went to Applebee’s.

I hope you remember that I hate snakes!  We were seated, the waitress came to our table, and she asked what we would like to drink.  It was then that I saw her tattoo --- a snake.  The tattoo went from her wrist to her elbow.  I could see it as she stood there.  I could see it when she took our order and when she brought our food.  I could see it .. Yes, I am a single mom.  How old is your daughter?  I have a picture.  Ahhh.. how cute.  I am getting married soon and we are buying a big old house.  We want lots of rooms.  It sounds like you want more children.  We do, but we want to foster children.  I was a foster kid and I want to help other kids. 

And then it happened.  I no longer saw the snake.  I saw a young lady who has a dream.  A dream to raise her daughter, marry a man who shares her values and goals, and help children through difficult times.  Right in front of me stood hope for the future.

As we were leaving, I complimented a woman on her bright yellow hat.  She thanked me and then told me where she bought it and how it made her fee.  I love to hear people’s stories. 

SHOPPING – I am not a big shopper, but we had seen a couple of stores we wanted to find.  One was a book store and one was named Two Sisters.  We could not find either of them.  I had the address.  I had my iPad map that said they were right where we were parked.  But they were not!  No books!  No Two Sisters!  Richmond needs to make their stores easier to find.  We did find an antique store…in a neighboring town. 

CEMETERIES – Although not as excited as I am, Margaret does accommodate my desire to go to cemeteries.  We explored two.  One had a unique tombstone (let’s just say they were dressed exactly as they were when they came into this world) and one was so peaceful the deer were wondering around.  One stone said “Howdy folks this is your old friend Singin Sam” and one reminded us that “death is only a shadow across the path to heaven.” 

THE TRIP HOME – Sadly, our visit was over and she headed south and I headed north.  Or at least I tried to.  We are in the fifth season in Indiana:  CONSTRUCTION!  I was either trying to go around the construction area or through it.  I turned on roads that sorta headed in the right direction and quickly found out I had managed to find … drum roll … more construction.  I went through small towns and really small towns.  I enjoyed every back road I took and hubby was thrilled that not one of those back roads was gravel.

WHAT I LEARNED ON THIS ROAD TRIP –

  • Family is important!  So many families are separated by a disagreement that happened 10, 20, or 30 years ago.  How sad. 
  • Community is important!  I drove through Hagerstown and they were preparing to celebrate their Little League Team.  Signs, balloons, and posters were everywhere.  And their team only won one game.  It didn’t matter.  Those boys were part of their town.  They were part of the community.  They were going to be a part of a parade that afternoon.
  • Time is important!  Time to enjoy family.  Time to travel backroads.  Time – a gift not to be wasted.

I love to travel!  It doesn’t matter if it is to the Rocky Mountains or a small town in my home state.  I love to travel!  I see homes and farms and towns.  I see life.  And when I go home, I have new memories.  And I get the opportunity to meet a young lady, with a snake tattoo, who shared her story with me.

 

No comments: