Friday, September 13, 2024

DEAD BATTERY

I had errands I needed to run.  Okay, full disclosure, I did not run – I drove the car.  Or at least I tried to.

From July 25 to September 10, Bill has chauffeured me wherever I needed to be.  Off we would go to a doctor’s appointment.  Off we would go to … oh … I guess doctor appointments were the only place we went.  Bill went to all the other places:  grocery store, to get prescriptions filled, hardware, dollar store, and to pick up meals (no grub hub here).  Finally, boot off meant I could drive.  I did not need a chauffeur.  I could go to town all on my own.  Freedom!!!

I took my trusty cane.  I got in the car, armed with my list and my charge card.  I put my seat belt on.  I put the garage door up.  I pushed the brake pedal.  I pushed the Engine Start/Stop button.  The car did not start.  Instead, a message popped up:  NO KEY FOB DETECTED.  What?  I have my key in my purse.  I haven’t used it for six weeks, but it is in my purse. 

Now, more than a bit miffed, I dug my key fob out.  “See car.  Here is a key fob.”  I pushed the lock button.  It did not work.  (Big sigh.)  The battery must be dead.  BUT never fear ---

A few years back, three ladies were in Michigan.  We had gone to see a new antique store.  The day was fun.  We had laughed.  We enjoyed the store and made a purchase or two.  We stopped for supper.  Getting out of the car, I pushed the lock button.  The door did not lock.  The key fob battery was dead.  BUT never fear!  This had happened once before and I was ready.  I had a new battery in the car.  Taking the battery, into the restaurant, I figured I could quickly change the battery and we would enjoy our supper knowing we would be able to get the car started.  I knew how to insert the battery.  What I was not prepared for was getting the battery out of the plastic package.

You would think the battery was a gold brick from Fort Knox!  I did not have anything to cut through thick plastic so I turned to the gentleman standing beside me and asked, “Do you have a pocket knife I could borrow?”  He replied, “No.”  Then he moved away from us.  Did he really think we looked like dangerous characters.  Whatever --- I needed to get to that battery.

Next I tried the bartender.  “Sir, do you have a knife that would cut this plastic?  I need the battery.”  He would not give me a knife.  He took the battery, picked up a knife, and, with a “really you couldn’t get this open” smile, proceeded to … not get the battery out.  Now the man sitting at the bar was trying very hard not to laugh, as the bartender picked up a different knife.  Trying to cut the plastic, he said, “How bad do you need this battery?”  With one more try, the plastic was cut and the battery was placed in the remote.  I breathed a sigh of relief and offered a reward to the bartender.  He said, “I am going to get so much mileage telling this story, you do not need to give me a tip.”   ---

I remembered all this, as I sat in my car, with a dead remote fob battery, and a new battery.  The only difference is that the new battery was already removed from its plastic case and ready to be used. 

Because I was ready.  Sorta like Matthew 25:1-4, 10, 13

“At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.  Five of them were foolish and five were wise.  The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them.  The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps."


“But while they (foolish ones) were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived.  The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet.  And the door was shut.”


“Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.”

When will the key fob battery quit working?  I do not know, but I have a battery ready.

When will the bridegroom arrive?  I do not know, but I have a lamp and a jar of oil ready.

 

No comments: