Friday, September 27, 2024

WHO ?

How many times, when you were in school, did the English teacher have you write a paper on the question:  If you could have lunch with any famous person, living or dead, who would it be?  This same question seems to appear in magazine quizzes and discussion groups.  The answers always include one President or another.  Elvis or another famous artist is selected.  Mother Theresa is a top option and, sadly, some would sit down with a violent criminal.  I guess each has their reason for choosing the person they would enjoy eating with.

No, I have not forgotten the tremendous amount of people that would quickly say, “I would want to have lunch with Jesus.”

“Mary, would you want to have lunch with me?  I am sure you would have questions.”

Hi Jesus.  Would you be upset if I told you my pick would not be you?

“It would take a lot more than that to make me upset.  Is it because we have conversations and you pretty much have asked me every question in the book?”

I might have asked, but you sure are not very free with giving answers.  Nope, I want to sit down with your mother.

“My mother?  She is an amazing woman, but why her instead of me?”

You are getting upset, aren’t you?

“No.  Just curious.  Not very many people pick her.  And they are missing out on dining with a woman of great …….”

That is just it.  I have so many questions to ask her… Did you doubt your courage to be the mother to God’s Son?  Did you ….

“You interrupted me again."

Sorry.

“May I continue now?  What do you think it would be like dining with my mother?”

Oh, when I close my eyes and picture it, I see us sitting beside a stream.  I can see her face.  Her eyes would draw me in and make me feel safe and her skin would be so soft.  Her mouth would have a slight smile.  Her back would be straight, and her hands would have an ever so gentle …..

“Are you talking about my mother? The mother who, with one glare, could make me pick up my toys.  And would never allow me to skip school with the other boys.  And she made me eat all my vegetables."

Hey, I was not done.  Her hands would have an ever so gentle touch as she would lay her hand on mine.  And I can hear her soft voice telling me her story.  I can see her shoulders stiffen and then drop, as she relived standing … standing before the Cross.

And when she was finished, I would have no questions.  I would know the honor she felt after the angel visited her.  And I would hear her softly tell of her fears, because every mother has fears.  She would have grinned from ear to ear as she talked about you as a child.  She would have told me what it was like to hear you speak in the temple or in the courtyard or to a child.  And I would have seen the tears as she told about the last time she held your face in her hands.

And, when I could find my voice, I would humbly thank her.

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

I have always answered the question with Mary.  Usually, I followed that with questions I would ask her: Was he a good boy?  Surely, he got in trouble sometime.  What was his favorite food? Did he?  Did he?

BUT, as I started writing,   I realized,   if I was having lunch with Mary,  she would tell me her story     and I would have no questions. 

If you could have lunch with any famous person, living or dead, who would it be?  It would be Mary, and I would treasure every word.

1 comment:

Larry Wade said...

Mary lunching with Mary. A meeting of the minds. Matthew and John got their information on the life of Jesus from first hand experience and from His own words. Mark got his information from the disciples. But Luke sat down with Mary before he interviewed others. Of course, all the Gospel writers wrote as the Holy Spirit directed, but Luke's writings involving Mary are far more personal. Continue to be a blessing. Larry.