A TABLE BEFORE MY ENEMIES
You prepare a table
before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with
oil; my cup overflows.
Psalms 23:5
Psalms 23:5 says that God will prepare a table before my enemies. I have written on this before, but go back to it every so often. Why? I wonder if I am still battling the same enemies
A few have gotten better. Anger has slipped down towards the bottom of the list. I have not completely lost my temper in a very - very - long time. That is not to say I do not get mad. I do! Sadly, I get mad over things which I do not have the ability to change: child abuse, attacks on religion, mutilating young people’s bodies and minds in the name of transgender, and allowing our country to be moved off the foundation it was built on. I speak out, but feel like I am shouting into the wind and the wind is carrying my words away.
Envy has always been seated at the kid’s table. I have seen behind the doors of way too many homes and I realize that what people show in public is not a true representation of what they have in private.
Greed might have made it to the door, but it never made it to the table. Use of time not only made it in the door, but has a seat at the table. I can get involved in an idea or a project and time goes out the window. And time is taking things I should be doing. Read a book or dust? No brainer: read the book. Have supper on time or check one more reference? Checking one more thing usually wins out. (Thankfully I have an understanding hubby.)
BUT I need to quit delaying the truth. The enemy that bursts in the door and sits at the head of the table is still the things I have not done. I look at that enemy and hang my head.
- Once again, there is no sack of food to put in the box
for the food pantry. Those items
are still on the store shelf.
- Once again, the card I was going to send is lying on
my desk. The cute sunshine card is
not encouraging anyone.
- Once again, I used excuses why I could not do something. Yes, I have legitimate reasons, but I could go to the school board meeting or the town meeting or to the coffee shop for breakfast or back to the pool. I could, but I allow my enemy to tell me it is okay to quit going because loading, unloading, and using a walker makes it difficult.
And that leads me to the end of this blog. “Difficult” is an excuse, not a reason. Which means that making excuses is a new enemy at my table.
I am thankful for a God that has patience with me. A God that is helping me stand against my enemies. A God who gives me a cup overflowing with Trust, Faith, Love, Joy, His Word, Peace, and Strength to face my enemies.
What enemy sits at your table?
No comments:
Post a Comment