I AM
God said he is I AM. But I AM.what? Would I recognize him if I saw him? Oh, there is the description in Ezekiel:
Then there came a voice from above the vault over their heads as they stood with lowered wings. Above the vault over their heads was what looked like a throne of lapis lazuli, and high above on the throne was a figure like that of a man. I saw that from what appeared to be his waist up he looked like glowing metal, as if full of fire, and that from there down he looked like fire; and brilliant light surrounded him. Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord. When I saw it, I fell facedown, and I heard the voice of one speaking.
Ezekiel 1:25 -28
Glowing metal. Full of fire. Likeness of the glory of the Lord. A sight so glorious that Ezekiel fell facedown. What will I see when I see God? What … wait a minute. I have seen God.
I have seen the power of God when I see mountains reaching toward the sky. I have seen the breath of God when the leaves sway in an unseen breeze. I have seen the wonder of God when snow falls gently and covers the ground.
That is just the beginning. I have seen the imagination of God when I see a tree wake up and leaves appear, only to go from green to orange and fall to the ground. I see his imagination when I watch a squirrel run up a tree or when a crocodile floats silently through the swamp or when flamingos walk with knees that bend the wrong way.
I see the gifts of God when a surgeon saves lives and when a teacher uses skills to educate and when the mechanic fixes a motor. I have seen the wonder of God in this world and I have seen the love of God when a baby is placed in my arms.
Do I really know what God looks like? No. Then how do I know there is a God? Because I have seen him in the world around me. In the rain and in the sunshine. In the thunder and in the quiet, gentle breeze. I have seen God in the eyes of a newborn. I have seen God in the changed life of a sinner, as they turn from sin and walk into the arms of God’s Son, Jesus Christ.
Do you know what God looks like?
No comments:
Post a Comment